Thursday, September 16, 2010

30 Day Fitness Challenge!

Most of the greatest victories in life are born out of complete failure.  That's where I was with my health and my weight last December.  Like many of us women, I was (still tend to be when I'm feeling weak) a stress eater.  My husband had just taken a job out of state, and I felt the added stress of being a single parent.  By the way....all you single parents out there....YOU ROCK!  I don't know how you do it, but you do.  My hat is off to you!

Anyway, back to me and my big butt and gut.....  One thing I found that I did (quite mindlessly) was take a little snack (usually some sort of Weight Watcher's dessert type snack that I'm pretty sure wasn't meant to be consumed in the fashion in which I was consuming) into my master bathroom and lock the door.  Ah.....the fleeting bliss of uninterrupted undercover SNACKING.  I'm being transparent here, just like my Snack Wells issue I mentioned in a previous post.  Confession is good for the soul, right? 

So, as the story goes, I was in a state of complete failure.  Little did I know at the time that this moment would lead to one of my greatest victories.  It was the beginning of December and I knew that even though all the holiday goodies were on the horizon, I had to do something about my weight.  So.......I called my sister and vented to her. 

The next day I had an email from one of our mutual friends who is a personal trainer and has the gift of godly encouragement.  She had a challenge for us.  Yep....I'm finally getting to the challenge part of it!  The challenge was very simple:
1.  Work out for at least 40 (preferably 60) minutes every day for 30 days. 
2.  Eat clean, real foods.  Eat 6 small meals/snacks a day.  Never starve yourself.  Journal what you eat.  Report to her how we did every day and what we were feeling each day.

I will tell you right off the bat that I did the challenge.  Here were my results:

-Though working out 30 days straight (first time I EVER worked out on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day) seemed extreme (and I think I did miss one or two days), I realized that she was trying to create within me a healthy habit.
-After the 30 days, I still continued with the eating plan and worked out most days as part of my normal lifestyle.
-I experienced the thrill of actually wearing the clothes that used to hang in my closet and mock me!
-I was more confident and able to tackle other goals that I previously thought were impossible.
-I LOST 17 pounds (by about 10 weeks later)!!
Before:

After:



Well, as sometimes happens with flawed human beings, I slowly crept away from that healthy lifestyle, and now I look a bit more like the before pic than the after again.  Now it's time to revisit what I KNOW works. 

I figured, why not share my challenge with whomever might be reading this! This will add accountability for me, and hopefully give others the added push as well.

If YOU are up for the 30 Day Challenge, here's what you will need to do:
1.  Print off the plan.
2. Follow it!
3. Go to the "30 Day Fitness Challenge" page of my blog.  Follow my journey and leave comments of how it is going with you.

Please pass this on to anyone you want to.  Also, if you are IN--please consider following my blog as I will plan to be sharing more on this in the future.  To follow, you will need to set up a google account, but it's quick, painless, and free!

The challenge officially starts tomorrow (9/17) but remember you can start anytime!  Wishing you all the best!

4 comments:

  1. Kate I will join if I can email or post to you all my meals daily and you'll do the same to me - I know I won't eat an entire box of Lucky Charms if I have to tell you about it. I'll message you my weight too. That would keep me humble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I'm trying to figure out how to put a "contact me" button on this blog so that I can receive messages without putting my email address on the blog.

    Praying for you and your new baby Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, starting today. I can't comment on the other page, and your link to your plan isn't working for me.

    I weigh 130.6 - and I'm 5'2". How tall are you?

    For breakfast I had 1 egg, 3/4 cup Total, and 1/2 cup milk. I'll fill in the rest later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented last night I thought. Anyway, I did well yesterday too. Exercised at 11:00 at night.

    Today: Down to 128.6 already!

    Breakfast: Oatmeal with raspberries
    Lunch: White chili and spinach salad
    dinner: 2 taco bell fresco steak soft tacos
    snack? not sure, but I am hungry!
    Workout: I am going to do walk away the pounds right now!

    ReplyDelete