Saturday, September 11, 2010

10 Things I LOVE About Fall

Yes sirree--We are almost here.........only 11 more days until the official start of Fall. But pardon me if I start to celebrate a bit early.  I'd like to narrow down the many many reasons that I LOVE Fall...........

1.  Burning Leaves-- I love the smell of burning leaves..........now we used to live in the city where there were all those annoying laws against such Fall activities.  We now live in the boondocks, so I can't wait to get lots of these smells again.  The smell of burning leaves is so quintessentially Fall.........so different than the smell of my neighbor burning his trash every week!

2.  Friday Night Football Games--- Or any night for that matter. Now I don't pretend to act like I actually understand the game, mind you.  I just love all that is associated with it.....the band....the cheerleaders....the touchdowns and interceptions (see I do know a little of the jargon)....the fans.....the announcers.  You get the picture.

3.  Candy Corn ---'nuf said!

4.  Making Chili --Chili is one of my favorite meals.  I absolutely love it with sour cream, cheese, and Fritos on top!  We always make a big pot on Halloween.  It's the best cold weather dish.  I'm passing the chili making on to my daughter.  I'm really trying to be more purposeful about teaching her to cook and all the other things that go along with managing a home.  Isn't she too cute?
5.  Fall Clothes--After a long HOT summer and being practically required  to wear shorts unless I wanted to have the "sweaty jeans" feeling which is SO not good.........it's simply glorious to put on a pair of jeans and a sweater.  It's so much easier to look cute and feel confident in jeans and a fall colored/earth tone sweater.  I mean....who really looks good in shorts once you pass age 35??  Anyone?  Anyone?

6.  The Changing Colors --Breathtaking!

7.  Cider and Donuts --  OK by now you are probably noticing a common theme......FOOD!  I can't help it.  I don't care WHAT kind of a diet or the more PC term I've preferred recently "Healthy Eating Plan" I'm on....when Fall comes around and I am near a Cider Mill/Apple Orchard.........It's GAME ON!  There is nothing better than a hot, crispy, greasy cinnamon donut washed down with cider.  Not....Even....CHOCOLATE.  Yes--you heard it here!  Here's a picture for picture's sake and because I know that pictures help to keep
readers' attention and if you're still reading this by now.......you NEED a picture!

8.  Busy Fall Schedules -- Every Fall I tend to get myself and my schedule a little over extended.  I don't know why I do it or why I can't resist saying yes to every wonderful opportunity.   Sometimes you just need to succumb to the way things are and go with it.  Every year there are so many exciting new things starting up....school...ladies' Bible studies at church....Awana's......dance....football.......the list goes on!  I just LOVE all the newness.  It's sort of strange how Fall signifies newness with me, but in nature it is a time of endings and dormancy.........hum........it's too early for me to get too philosophical or spiritual about that one.....you're off the hook! :)

9.  Holidays are a Comin' ---My real favorite time of year starts on the first day of Fall and ends on New Year's day.  I love all the festivities and excitement that all the Holidays offer.  

10.  Yankee Mackintosh Candle ---Strange--but it's become a tradition to purchase and almost ceremonially light this particular scent of candle.  We are currently out of it, so we have plans to go out the the Landing (an awesome waterfront shopping area here) and buy one on......you guessed it....the first day of Fall.
Happy Fall Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment