Monday, October 11, 2010

So Long Speed-Dating!

"Didn't you think about the fact that I was coming too?  Where is my chair?" I inquired in my most controlled yet incredibly annoyed voice.  It seemed that even though it was only 11:30am, I had allowed the events of this past Saturday to sour my attitude.  Due to work issues, I had arrived 20 minutes late to my daughter's soccer game.

My husband just answered matter-of-factly, "You can have my chair. I have to leave."  And then he was off--taking our son to his warm up for his football game.  It wasn't until I got home from our crazy busy Saturday that I realized I hadn't had a meaningful, loving, and purposeful conversation with my husband in quite some time.  

Our lives had turned into chaos management.  We have become experts at texting and quick "can-you-bring-a-gallon-of-milk-home-with-you" type conversations.  Sure, we would often sprinkle in "I love you's" and other such sentiments, but the days of true knowing had vanished faster than my hubby did after I snapped at him.

Then we went to church yesterday and this realization took on a much deeper meaning for me.  I realized that my relationship with my Heavenly Father had become an on-the-go relationship as well.  Our pastor made the comment that in our society "We try to speed-date God."  

 Wow!  Just like in that scene from the movie, "Hitch" when a group of singles sat there at tables in a large room and had quick 2 minute surface conversations with strangers until the bell rang and it was off to the next one.......How often do we have quick 2 minute conversations with our God who, many times if we were honest feels a bit like a stranger as well, until the "bell" rings and we are off to the next pressing issue in our lives?


Have we filled our lives with so many "things" that we no longer have time to actually dedicate to simply sitting at His feet? Are we no longer comfortable with talking with Him for any real length of time?  Do we fear the vulnerability that comes from being face to face with our Savior? 

I know for me, I justified my haphazard, on-the-go relationship with my Lord by using the "Pray without ceasing." verse.  I would pray all day long while I was driving, schooling, working.  Yes, we are instructed to be in an attitude of prayer throughout our day, but I wonder why many of us (including me) aren't willing to give more

The closeness of my marriage will not survive with quick texts and surface conversations.  If we continue with this busy pace, we will start to feel like we no longer really know each other.  You can't trust someone you don't know.

Likewise, my relationship with my Heavenly Father will not be a close one if I am not willing to give Him my t i m e

Dedicated time.......to really get to know him. 

I can't truly trust my God if I don't really know Him intimately.

So this week I am seeking to make     t i m e    for my most important relationships--the one with my Bride Groom and my earthly groom. 

So long Speed Dating!

No comments:

Post a Comment