Monday, August 30, 2010

Mid Life Crisis......or Mid Life CHRIST-Follower?

I don't know when it hit me.......Maybe it was.....
--When I got the invitation this past June to my TWENTY year high school reunion 
--When I realized that I was the OLDEST person at work (out of 30+ people)
--When the guy who led my zipline tour told me he was born in 1991 (when I was in COLLEGE)

At any rate, I must confess that I never used to understand people making such a big deal about getting older.  I have realized lately that it really has been bothering me.  So this led me to ask myself WHY.  Why am I so hung up about getting older and reaching that "brick wall" (aka....40)?


I am very happily married and am loving being a Mamma bear to my kiddos.  I love where I live and love my job....so it can't be due to any "unaccomplished dreams or what ifs"  I realized that, if I'm honest......really honest with  myself (which unfortunately doesn't happen very often----all too often life crowds out such tedious inward reflections) it is because I love this life a little too  much. 

I have been very convicted lately about this.  As Christians, this world is not our home.  This life is not to be lived for our glory -- our accomplishments--our satisfaction.  Am I really living this life for God's glory?  Do my decisions and how I daily spend my time really reflect that I am a Christ-Follower?  Or have I been living as a Kate-Follower?

Oh Lord, please help me live wholeheartedly for YOU and YOUR glory--not my own.  Please help me to realize that every wrinkle, every year, every gray hair is only evidence of the fact that I'm mortal......that this life is fleeting......that you have me here NOW at this age for a reason.  There is more value in that than in any vain treasure of youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment